What skills are developed playing sand soccer?
The technical ability of players in the areas of dribbling, passing and shooting drastically improves after playing sand soccer. Goal keepers also gain experience as sand soccer features lots of shots on goal. Goal keepers can perfect diving technique on a soft surface.
Are there different levels of play?
Yes. We are putting together recreational and premier levels. Participation in our leagues is based on honesty, people selecting the right level for their children's participation. Winning is not everything! Learning to play the game and improving your soccer skills is more important. Players are only going to improve if they play at the right level and they have to compete with someone else who can make them better.
Does Thunder Beach Sand Soccer have both girls and boys leagues?
At this time, leagues are set up by age group, not by gender. Teams can be all girls, all boys or any combination of boys and girls.
What ages are able to participate in youth leagues and tournaments?
Birth years ranging from 2002 to 2012 (U9 - U19). Follow this link for a calendar birth year matrix.
Can a player play up an age group?
Yes. A player can choose to play up but obviously should be able to compete at that level.
How many teams in a league?
Our goal is to have 6 to 8 teams in each league.
How many players on the field at a time?
U9 - U12 has 4 players and a goalie on the field at a time. U13 and up have 3 players and a goalie on the field at a time.
What is the average team size?
U9 - U12 = 12 players make up a team
U13 and up = 10 players make up a team
How long are the Thunder Beach Sand Soccer KC sessions?
We currently offer Summer Session #1 that is 9 weeks long. The first week is orientation, handing out team shirts and a short practice. The second week begins league play.
Can a person enter as an individual, with a friend, a small group or a team?
Yes, you can enter as an individual, with a friend, or a small group from and once registration is concluded, we will put together teams. You can also enter a full team. Thunder Beach reserves the right to put together teams in a higher division should we need too in order to have a league.
For a description of the various types of registration and other registration guidelines, please go to "Registration Info" under either "Youth Sand Soccer" or "Adult Sand Soccer".
What about weather concerns?
Updates on playing conditions and weather delays are available on our website (scrolling across the top of the home page) and through our social media accounts. Updates will be posted no later than an hour and half before the time of your scheduled game.
Can I register over the phone?
Yes! Please call 913-944-7345 and have your credit card ready.
If 913-944-6345 is busy and you do not want to wait, call 888-710-SAND (7263) and listen to FAQ’s or leave your name, cell phone number, your question and someone from Thunder Beach Sand Soccer KC will return your call.
Please call between 9:00am to 5:00pm. We look forward to talking to you and answering your questions.
What are the registration deadlines for summer 2020?
Deadlines for the Summer Session #1 beginning June 6, 2020
- Early Bird Registration: January 2 - March 15 ($15 discount)
- Normal Registration: March 16 - May 7
- Late Registration: May 8 - June 1 ($15 late fee added)
How much does it cost to play?
Cost to participate in the various leagues and tournaments will be posted along with the information about the event under youth and adult categories. For youth and adult costs, please look at the "Cost to Participate" tabs under "Youth Sand Soccer" and "Adult Sand Soccer".
What is the Thunder Beach KC refund policy?
Our general policy is refunds are not available. Often our rosters have limited space and last minute cancellations hinder our ability to properly plan and organize our leagues/tournaments. However, there are a few exceptions...
- If you provide us with written notice of your need for a refund up to seven (7) days notice prior to the registration deadline for that season, we will be able to provide you a refund. Depending upon the price of the league and if you registered as an individual or team there may be a processing fee.
- A seasons program credit may be offered in lieu of a refund.
- In case of injury prior to or during the season, we will evaluate each situation on a case by case basis.
- If a league has to be canceled for one reason or another and you are unable to play in a different league, Thunder Beach KC will provide you with a full refund.
- All season refund credits must be used within two of the following seasons.
- If you are unable to participate after completing the registration process, we are able to provide you a credit for any future Thunder Beach Sand Soccer KC program.
What are the requirements to coach a youth sand soccer team?
All youth coaches in the state of Kansas are required to complete a background check through the Kansas State Youth Soccer Association at a cost of $20. If you are already registered with KSYSA and have already completed your background check, you will not be required to complete this again for Thunder Beach Sand Soccer KC program participation.
What equipment is needed to play sand soccer?
- Players MAY NOT wear shinguards or shoes
- Sand socks are optional
- Authorized footwear includes bare feet, cotton socks taped to ankles, elastic ankle and/or foot wraps, and commercially manufactured sand socks. Other commercial beach socks with soft soles are authorized.
- Sand soccer specific soccer balls will be provided for league play
- As part of the league registration fee, team t-shirts will be provided and are the players to keep
Notes on Team Shirts: When the team registers, the coach (youth) or team captain (adult) will select a color of shirt offered by Thunder Beach KC. The color is not guaranteed and is arranged first come, first serve. No other shirt is permitted for participants in Thunder Beach Sand Soccer KC leagues. If a player does not have their team shirt, they are permitted to wear a pinnie on two separate occasions before they are required to sit out until a replacement shirt has arrived. Replacement shirts cost $10.
What size is a sand soccer pitch (field)?
Sand soccer pitch varies for the different ages of sand soccer players. U9 - U12, the pitch is 73 feet by 73 feet. All older Thunder Beach KC age groups will play on a field that is 135 feet by 73 feet.